Finding a Sign

Tilley Family Adventures

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aberdeen, ID, United States

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." - Charlie Chaplin

3.19.2009

Trip to Reno

The kids are off for spring break this week, and Derek had a business trip to Reno, so we tagged along, (Derek's parents came too).

We got to the hotel on Monday afternoon, and the kids headed straight to the pool.


Later, when Dad got back to the hotel, we went to a HUGE sporting goods store. Seriously this place was humongous. I thought it was a mall when we first drove up to it. It was brand new (opened a week or two ago). When you first walk in, you walk under an arch suspended by two pillars. The arch and the pillars are a gigantic fish tank, you actually get to walk under the fish. It had a museum-like display of wild animals on a hill with waterfalls, an airplane suspended in the air, and 3 levels of anything you could ever need to have fun outdoors. But, the boys' favorite feature was the indoor ferris wheel. There was a ferris wheel inside that you could ride if you bought a token. They had so much fun riding it (that, and the escalators).

We finished off the day by taking the kids to a go-cart place.




We thought we had quite a full day. Little did we know that the adventure was just beginning.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn in one of the Suites. We put Andi's crib in the big bathroom, so we could close the door, and she could sleep. She slept great. We were afraid she would keep us up all night, but she barely made a peep. Things were going great until about 4:00 am. Logan said his stomach hurt. I asked him if he was ok, and he answeredy by puking all over the sheets and pillows and his pajamas. We had to wake up Nathaniel, and I headed down to the front desk for some clean bedding. I think that I left Logan's pajama top in with the dirty sheets because I still can't find it.

Logan continued in like manner for the rest of the night. At about 7:30, he was feeling better, so we all headed downstairs for the continental breakfast. I asked Logan if he wanted anything, and he said some milk. We sat down at the table, he took a couple of sips, turned green, and the milk came right back up. We ran to get some towels and a hotel employee helped us grab something to sop up the mess.

At this point, Andi must have felt like she wasn't getting enough attention, so she stuck her had into Derek's dad's boiling cup of coffee. I grabbed her from a very distraught grandfather, and rushed her to the kitchen (where we had just been for clean towels) and held Andi's hand under cold water. I was trying to calm my child, and just get her hand cooled down. Everyone was offereing different solutions. The Hotel employee brought some cold miracle whip to put andi's hand in; Derek's mom was grabbing some ice and water; the hotel manager brought us some burn ointment. After trying all of these solutions to placate everyone, I took my still crying baby girl outside to calm her down.

Derek, who was the guest speaker at the conference he was attending, was drenched in Miracle whip, ice water, and "used" milk. He didn't have another nice shirt, so he ended up switching with his dad. He headed off to the conference, and I decided that we had had enough adventures. Nathaniel was very upset that we couldn't go to the pool one more time, but I didn't want any more accidents. I just wanted to get home. We checked out, and headed back over the mountains.

The trip home was uneventful. Andi was so worn out, that she behaved the whole way (miracle) and Logan didn't have any more accidents. I thought we were home free. Then, about 5 minutes before we got to Derek's parents' house, Nathaniel got car sick. One more puke mess to clean up.

We arrived at our house about an hour later. I put Andi to bed, turned on a movie for the boys, and took a nap.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mels said...

What a trip! Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation!

March 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Okay, you totally deserve time off from family getting sick. I feel your pain. I hope everyone is healthy soon!

March 22, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger wendys said...

I hate it when anybody is sick away from home. It makes it so much worse! Glad the first part of the trip was fun though!

March 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home