Two and a half weeks of vacation
This post is going to be long because, besides jotting down random comments, I use this blog to document the goings on of the Tilley Family. The last few weeks have been filled with vacation. That and driving. I figured out that I spent almost 45 hours in the car with my 18-month-old. I don't plan to do THAT again anytime soon, but I could handle some more vacation.
First I headed to Provo with Nat and the kids. We spent a few fun days there with Candice and her family, I forgot to take pictures, so check Can's blog; hopefully she'll post some. One of the first things I did was go shopping. Shopping is not my favorite thing, but I have been having the hardest time finding cute, modest shorts and shirts in CA. Luckily, I found what I needed. I'm not posting any pictures. If you want to see them you'll just have to visit me.
Lance stopped by while we were there, and we had a fun afternoon with him playing guitar hero. I always forget how tall my brother is until I hug him after not seeing him for awhile. He towers over me, hopefully my kids get some of his tall genes.
We also spent a fun day at Seven Peaks. It was a little crouded because BYU had all of it's sports camps there, but the kids had a great time.
Then we headed to the Casdorph Family Reunion in Twin Falls. My uncle (who was hosting) had us on a full schedule. Thursday night all the adults went to the temple. Friday morning, everyone went to 1000 springs where we played in the pool and the Snake river. That night, we went to a bounce house where we also had a birthday party for one of my cousins. Logan didn't end up getting any cake. I told him he could have some. The people bringing the cake home didn't get home until 1:00 am, but he was patiently waiting at the counter. (I heard about all of this later from grandma). He told my mom that he wanted 3 pieces. He made it about halfway through a 2nd piece. I couldn't wake him until almost 1:00 the next afternoon.
Saturday, we played softball, where the Porters brought their usual ShoShack machine. All the little kids got to bat. Nathaniel wasn't interested. He batted once, then spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with great-grandpa. Poor little Logan wanted to play, but his broken leg was still hurting him. After playing at the bounce house, he was barely able to make it around the bases. He ran hard, but after one time at bat, he was done. Saturday night, we headed to Shoshone Falls for a dutch-oven dinner.
We took pictures, and the Adults sat around and chatted while, the kids played red rover. That my uncle projected "Now You See It, Now You Don't": the old Disney film with Kurt Russell. The kids got a big kick out of that one.
aside: All of my memories of these things are great, but a bit hazy. Andi did not sleep well, and I am very much looking forward to the near-distant future when she will be old enough to sleep without me on vacations. I applaud all mothers of toddlers everywhere who take their kids on vacation. You are either extremely brave or moderately crazy (or both).
After church, Sunday, we left with my parents, Candice and her kids, and Nat and headed to Burlington. It was so nice to be back and breathe the fresh, Wyoming air. To me, there is nothing like it in the world. I went for a jog along the highway in front of my house one morning. In high school I jogged this road quite often, and I always thought it was pretty. I never fully appreciated it, though. This time, as I moved down the empty road, I was struck by the lovely smell that permeated the air. The scent of sweet grass, alfalfa and sagebrush was so thick that I could almost see it. It was so peaceful. I ventured 3 miles, roundtrip, and I saw 3 vehicles the entire time, (And, all of the driver's gave me a friendly wave although I didn't know them). Sigh, I miss the wide open countryside.
I also miss living in a small town. I should appreciate having this time in California making me remember what I love about living in small towns. One of my favorite small town moments was when I went to the Burlington beauty salon, Madonna's (It's not a tribute to the pop-star, the original owner's names were "Madeline" and "Donna"). Donna was waxing a woman's eyebrows. That's not to strange in itself. Lots of women get their eyebrows waxed. The funny thing was that her pants and cowgirl boots were spattered with manure. She was just on her lunchbreak and was headed back out to work with the cows. I haven't seen that in CA yet. :)
While we were there, Derek , Scott, Natalie, and my dad went on a 4-day backpacking trip with horses. Derek doesn't love being on horses. Our horses are always a little feisty because we don't ride them enough. For months, I assured Derek that we would be using my uncle's horses that he worked with often. It wasn't until they went to pick the horses up until they found out that 3 of the horses were "green" broke. They had all barely been ridden. Derek came home and said he was never getting on a horse again. Other than the horse, he had a great time. In one day he caught 75 fish. He has a great story about a lure. I can't do it justice, so if you want to hear it, you'll have to ask him. They all came back saddle sore and dirty, and all the wives were happy to have them home (and Nat home).
They got home Saturday night, and Sunday morning, Nat gave her homecoming talk. After that, we headed to Aberdeen. We stayed with the Dancliff family. It felt like we never left.
Monday morning, Derek and Dustin went golfing. Then, we all headed to Indian Springs to swim. That night, Amanda hosted a Murder Mystery type party. We had a great time running into old friends. Hopefully we'll get to visit again soon.
Tuesday morning, we headed home. We were happy to be done with suit cases, but it took us about 3 days to recouperate from our vacation.
Labels: Summer Vacation, Twin Falls Reunion


2 Comments:
Wow what a trip! It sounds great, except for the cranky 18 month old part! You are brave to take her on such an extended vacation.
Whew! What a trip... thanks for making time to hang out with me a little... I loved seeing you again! Let's do it again soon :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home